It’s been awhile since I’ve shared a recipe. Now that I’m not working over the summer, I have more time to regularly grocery shop to keep our fridge stocked AND I have more time to make more involved recipes for dinner. This particular dish is actually quite easy, but I had never made it before and having more free time on my hands means giving a lot more new recipes a try. I like to cook, we love to eat (too bad I’m not a fan of dishes).
Anyways, on with the recipe. This dish can be made vegetarian by just skipping the chicken. Both the husband and my 2 year old daughter really enjoyed this meal. It was Mia’s first time trying pesto and she surprisingly gobbled up a whole bowl. Me? I LOVE pesto and sun dried tomatoes so this meal will be made numerous times again.
A few side notes:
I used bow-tie pasta but almost any type that you prefer should work fine.
I also bought a pre-baked rotisserie style chicken from the grocery store. I bought it right before making this dish so it was warm when it was time to shred it (just used a fork). If you prefer, you can bake your own whole chicken but this will add a lot of time to how long it takes to make this dish.
If you have a homemade recipe for pesto, make it! I wanted to save time so I purchased a pre-made jar of pesto and it tasted great.
- 8 oz pasta
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- ¾ cup pesto (homemade is best)
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes julienne and drained
- ½ cup diced mozzarella cubes
- ¾ cup of canned corn
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I use pre-baked rotisserie chicken from the store)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F
- In a large pot of boiling and salted water, cook pasta according to the package instructions and drain well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Place trimmed asparagus in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place asparagus in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Place in oven and roast for 8-10 minutes. Let cool before cutting into one inch pieces.
- Heat corn in a pot on the stove.
- In a very large bowl, combine drained, cooked pasta with the pesto until it is evenly distributed. Then, toss in the asparagus, sun dried tomatoes, corn, shredded chicken and mozzarella cubes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Give this recipe a try and please, let me know how it went or feel free to ask any questions!